Friday, June 01, 2007

Melissa's Big Adventure Part The First

(Guest-written by handler and quasi-publicist Amy)
The big bad city has not defeated Melissa Morgan-Oakes. We're sitting here in Starbucks observing life's rich pageant and preparing to head down to the BEA floor to snag schwag. I'm finding that someone here doesn't need all the OCD admonishments I keep handing out ("Don't take what the homeless guy is handing out!" "Don't cross the street until ALL the cars go past!" "Are you SURE we have to go to The American Girl store?") and is quite the capable big-city gal. As a matter of fact, someone here who was a little, shall we say, petrified, of being in a city where the blocks are numbered is living quite high on the hog. Yesterday passed in a blur of coffee, Tiffany's, Prada, Cartier (where we saw jewelry that cost MILLIONS), and Teuscher, the high temple of chocolate where we were stunned into silence by a blizzard of champagne truffles. Without being sort of creepily parental and weird, I have to say I'm so proud of the fact that she is not only not intimidated by New York, but she loves it. Which is good, since she figures into my master plan of knocking over several institutes of high finance and using the proceeds to move us both here where we'll go to Tiffany's every day and try on the big diamonds.
I'll end this post here but will continue to update on Melissa's march through Manhattan later this day.

OK...this was supposed to be totally a guest blogger event, but I just have to add one little thing...my handler/quasi publicist has booked me into the lovely Gershwin Hotel...adjcent to the Museum of Sex (which, for the low, low cost of $14.50 I may visit should I choose to). The sign makes it a tempting proposition....

10 comments:

Cirilia said...

Amy, why oh why don't you blog??

It sounds like you two are having a GRAHHHHHND time! Any celeb sitings? I always get weird ones, like at 6 a.m. in JFK once: Nia Long and Rhoshumba.

Yarnhog said...

That's the sort of sign I'd expect to see at the Museum of Chocolate, where it would probably be necessary, but maybe that's just me. There is a sign at my gym that reads "Don't Spit in the Drinking Fountain", so evidently, some people need that instruction as well.

MelissaKnits said...

Well, aside from Stephanie, I have seen LL Cool J, Dr. Ruth, and Amy's people, Kamy Bruder et al. I love this trade show thing. It's cool.

Anonymous said...

So this is the plan then? You and Pops move to NY and leave me and Tracy in charge of the "Country Home." We'll take goood care of it, no worries. (for a small salary.)
But you're taking your psycho dog with you.

Anonymous said...

I saw Richard Belzer (Det. Munch on "Law and Order." And I don't blog because I'm essentially uninteresting and also terrified of my digital camera. But I'm happy to ghost-write any other blogs out there.
Amy

MelissaKnits said...

I can't believe people need to be told not to spit in fountains. It makes me queasy.

No, Girl, we're not taking Boo. It'd be bad for him. He needs country air and relaxed living. You're stuck with him!

I can believe that you live in fear of your digital camera Amy, since you don't know how to find missed calls in your cell phone...

Anonymous said...

Oh sure, tell everyone.

MelissaKnits said...

I haven't told them about the dog yet...but I can............

Persnickety Knitter said...

Can't wait to hear more about the adventures of chicken woman in the big city. How was the sushi? Did you have time for any yarn store hopping?

Katy said...

The most famous person I saw at BookExpo was a chicken farmer soon to be the knitting world's Next Big Thing. (Oh and I met Steven Colbert and Dr. Ruth....).

Katy